An Australian Republic? 1. Australian Identity
Changing Australia’s system of government from a constitutional monarchy to a republic has implications for how Australians see the nation's principles, traditions, values and future.
Read the following articles and consider the questions that follow.
- Monarchy is the tie that binds us together (Tony Abbott)
- Liberal Senator wants to ditch monarch’s holiday
- What changes are there likely to be to Australia’s national symbols if Australia becomes a republic?
- Identify and explain the values that a constitutional monarchy represents for Australians?
- How would being a republic change how Australians imagine the nation?
Hint: A Plus, Minus and Interesting chart might help you to respond to these questions.
- Individually, or as a group, design a poster which represents what you think is modern Australia. The poster might be a collage of images that you associate with being Australian. See if you can represent values as well.
- Which of these images might be affected or disappear from the poster if Australia became a republic?
- Are there any images on the poster that might be strengthened, or image that might need to be added if Australia became a republic?
Reporting your findings
- Write a poem or a song, or create an image that reflects favourably on an Australian republic, or laments or defends Australia's current status as a constitutional monarchy.